Friday, June 13, 2008

The Art of Moving: Day 1

I have a lot to catch up on here so I'll break it into bits.

Day One of moving (three days in all) was the packing of all my household goods (HHG) going to Korea.

At about 9:30 AM, the Rabid Raccoons arrived. Rabid Raccoons, you say? Do let me explain.

Two ladies, Nancy and Liz, were my packing team. After showing them around the apartment and explaining which areas were pack and which were not, I made the fatal error of letting them know that the items in the guest bathroom were not to be packed as they were designated for Goodwill. I told them that if they wanted anything in there, they were more than welcome to it.

Rabid Raccoons. That is the only way I can describe the wild rumpus that ensued. Free stuff!!Rummage, rummage, rummage! They tore that room apart!!

Helpful Moving Hint: Do not inform the crew that you are discarding items until AFTER they have packed and loaded everything else.

After a shopping spree in the carolinkorea department store, the Rabid Raccoons determined that they needed more boxes and packing materials as they did not have enough for all my HHG to be shipped. Logic being the guiding force of the day, it was obvious that both of the Rabid Raccoons needed to vacate the apartment and go back to the warehouse to get the additional materials. Both of them. The errand takes about an hour.

Both of them.

Fool that I am, I would have opted to have one go back and the other start packing; get a little head start. What do I know? I am not a professional mover.

At about 11:45 they returned from the warehouse with an abundance of packing supplies. 11:45 you say? Why, that sounds like lunch time!

I had anticipated a four or five man crew over two days so I picked up three deli trays the day before, each of which served 15 - 20 people. A tray of mini subs, a tray of fresh cut fruit, a tray of veggies and dip. Please note, trays that serve 15 - 20 people serve only two Rabid Raccoons. Especially if at the end of the day, the Rabid Raccoons take home 75% of what is left on the tray, including all the fruit.

Additionally, telling Rabid Raccoons that they are welcome to take any of the Goodwill items if they like also translates into "anything in this house" - not that they grabbed it, but boy, they asked about everything!! "What about this?" It got rather tiresome quickly.

So at about 12:30 PM, the Rabid Raccoons commenced packing. They got it all done by about 8:00 or 8:30 PM, although I am sure they could have been done by 7:00 if Rabid Raccoon Nancy had used my phone a lot less for personal calls.

I'll post Day 2 in a little bit.

No comments: